Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Reading Habits.

I have seen this floating around so I decided to take part. I snagged it officially from Jenn at Book Crazy, so visit her to see her answers!

Do you snack while you read? If so, favourite reading snack:
Every once in awhile. I generally read in bed, so I don't bring food with me, but if I am curled up on the couch I might eat popcorn or something if the mood strikes!

What is your favourite drink while reading?
I have an addiction to Diet Coke, so that is always by my side, but I also like a cup of hot tea (English Breakfast) as well.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
I don't write in them now, but I used to in college. I always have a little pad of small post-its with me to mark favorite passages and lines to refer to later.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?
I always, always use bookmarks. I collect them and I probably have around 60 or 70 of them. I switch them up so they all get used, but I definitely have favorites!

Fiction, non-fiction, or both?
I really love fiction, but I do love memoirs, autobiographies, and historical books. They can make my skirt fly up too!

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
I don't like stopping anywhere other than a natural break in the story, or at a chapter. I like having a little closure before setting my book aside!

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
I have done it a few times, but not recently. A book has to really bother me for me to get angry at it.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
No. I usually just figure it out with context clues.

What are you currently reading?
I am in the middle of The Return of Sherlock Holmes and The Mayor of Casterbridge (which I wasn't so sure of, but I kind of love it!).

What is the last book you bought?
Nothing recently. My library is having their book sale this weekend, so I think I am going to stop by on Saturday morning (we have a wedding to go to that evening) and see what I can find. It is usually hit or miss at the sale. Sometimes I get great things and other times I walk away with nothing.

Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?
I usually only read one book at a time, but recently I have had two or three on my nightstand. With all of the Holmes short stories, it is fairly easy to keep that on deck. Read-alongs have also helped me get better at doing this! Although, I am going to try to keep it to 2 at most from now on. Reading Sherlock Holmes, The Count of Monte Cristo, and The Brothers Karamazov was way too much last month.

Do you have a favourite time/place to read?
I usually read before bed for an hour or two every night. It is part of my nightly routine and one that Matt has gotten used to. I also read in the morning for an hour before work, as well as on my lunch break (sometimes).

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?
I really enjoy series if they are done well, but stand alones are easier to get through!

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
Oh yes. Many times when I am reading a book I immediately think of who I need to tell to read it, but I have some favorites I recommend to everyone.

How do you organize your books? (by genre, title, author's last name, etc.)
I only have my classics on display now, but they are all by author's last name, then alphabetical by title. It works for me. I am sure that when we eventually have the space, all of my books will be on display and I will need a better system!

Let me know if you fill this out!

8 comments:

  1. Great answers! I hope you find something at the library sale this weekend. :) I still need to read all of the Sherlock Holmes stories, I hope you are enjoying them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun. I enjoyed reading your answers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it :) If I had time, I'd do this right now, but I'll have to put it off at least till tomorrow night or the next night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun!!

    I did it too
    http://pageturnersbooks.blogspot.com/2010/05/fun-q-for-everyone-about-reading-habits.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am constantly changing my mind about organizing my books! Sometimes it's alphabetical and sometimes simply by which I like best. I'm glad I saw your read-along poll in time, I'll probably join in, esp if it's Cranford! Or Othello or... yeah, let's just say I'll join. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so much fun!

    Here are my answers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice to get to know more about you & your reading habits. I think I might have to do this meme sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was really good, here are my answers:http://kovgab.wordpress.com/2010/05/20/reading-habits/
    Your blog is great, glad I've found it :D

    ReplyDelete